Junior Software Engineer - Contract
Data & Research
Compete is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team in a consulting capacity at least through the end of 2012. This position may become eligible for a permanent role.
We are looking for a bright, energetic, detail oriented Engineer with a software background. You will need to create, debug, and test software tools and products. You will also be tasked with verification and validation of data points end-to-end. This is a hands-on position requiring someone who enjoys getting their hands dirty with software and data.
The people working here at Compete are passionate about the quality of work and the integrity of the data. We want someone who is like-minded to be on our team.
- Working with a small team within a start-up like environment.
- Work within a Linux and open-source environment.
- Create, debug, and test software tools and products.
- Prepare and develop data deliverables to meet development timelines and/or on an on-demand basis.
- Ensure accuracy of reporting deliverables by enforcing data integrity rules and software development best practices.
- Participate in data-related projects, including but not limited to data normalization, data maintenance, data research, data standardization, data product development, and data quality assurance.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent.
- 0-3 years of development experience; preferably in the areas of Data analysis or Business intelligence.
- Familiarity with Python.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux, including shell scripting.
- Data analysis experience.
- Excellent communication skills in both engineering and non-engineering contexts.
- Knowledge of new emerging data technologies a plus (e.g. Hadoop, Vertica).
- Knowledge of Agile/Scrum a plus.